Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Trying to recover from my food hangover.....

It's July 6th and I am still in major recovery mode after a long holiday weekend. 

It started Thursday with dinner at Doe's Eat Place and ended with Sunday night with fried catfish at Flying Fish.

Friday morning I woke up with a food hangover from too many tamales, shrimp, steak and fries from the best restaurant in town. I drug myself to yoga at 5:30 a.m. and spent the rest of the day trying to settle my stomach and prepare for the 7 family members coming to take over my house for the next 3 nights.

Friday I scarfed down some amazing key lime chip dip (only to find out it was made of cream cheese), had more chips and dip and salsa type appetizers. For dinner I avoided the make your own pizza bar & opted for eggs and veggies, but had a brownie to celebrate my sister-in-laws birthday, along with a few drinks. And some pepperoni's. Might as well be full-disclosure.

I managed to get myself together for most of Saturday morning, swollen legs and all. (damn you, dairy)

Once I realized we were having Italian sausage for dinner, along with a pudding & jell-o torte and that Sunday's menu was burgers for lunch followed by dinner at Flying Fish it became a no holding back situation. (FYI: anyone who can pass up the fried catfish and hush puppies at FF is my hero)

And guess what? I don't even feel bad about it!

I came to peace at some point Saturday that it was going to be a free for all and I'd be much happier if I stayed the course with exercise and allowed myself to give in to all the food chaos that comes with family get-togethers.

We have a tendency to beat ourselves up when we have that handful of chips or that extra sliver of cake. But the difference here was that I wasn't mindlessly scarfing these bad foods down. I was very very aware of what I was putting into my body. And I enjoyed every. single. bite. (and drink, let's be honest here)

Here's what I did to stay active and on top of my exercise game:
  • Yoga Friday morning
  • Power Pump Saturday morning
  • Hike to the top of Pinnacle Sunday morning (up & down the hard side)
Here's what I am doing this week to make sure I am back on track:
  • Lots of water. Lots and lots of water.
  • No alcohol until the weekend
  • No unnecessary processed foods or sugar-laden products
Hopefully by Friday this food hangover will be over and I'll be back to normal. I might just have to bookmark this post as a reminder to myself of how I feel after multiple days off the wagon.

Top Posts